Monday, August 11, 2008

Four weeks to go

With only four week to go until my surgery, I'm feeling the time crunch to get my muscles in as top shape as possible in order to ease recovery.

Before I go on about that, I just want to say that I have found this whole process to be very strange so far. Nobody has really given me much information and though the internet is of course a rich resource, I still have not received any details about any of this from my doctor or surgeon. When the surgeon told me the MRI confirmed my torn ACL he asked, "so what do you want to do?" Having done some independent research, I knew that I wanted to play sports in the future so I knew I wanted surgery. But I would have liked some advice and some pros and cons. The surgeon didn't even know whether or not OHIP covers physio for ACL injuries. It doesn't.

Last week a guy I know recommended a physiotherapist in my neighbourhod and, thinking I'd be proactive, I called the clinic to see about making an appointment. They said that I need a reference from my doctor but that making an appointment a few days before I want my first meeting would be fine. I called my surgeon and the receptionist told me that the doctor will give me a reference the day of the surgery. It all seems so laid back and casual to me. I would have thought the physio would want to meet me before the surgery and test my strength or take a look at the state of my knee before I arrive a few days after surgery. I guess this is the way it's done...

So anyway, I believe I need to pay special attention to stengthening my hamstrings, quads, and calves. I plan to work out every single day for the next four weeks to accomplish this goal as well as to be in top form for my bridesmaid's dress.

Today I did a Bodypump class where we do LOTS of squats and lunges. I currently use 17 kilograms on the bar for squats and 7 kilograms on the bar for lunges. I hope to increase this weight over the next few weeks. Let's make my goal 20 kilograms and 1o kilograms for now and see if I can increase that even beyond my goal.

I also did 20 minutes on the elliptical.

I hope to atted 2 bodypump classes a week to work on muscle strength, 2 bodyflow classes a week to work on flexibility and balance, and to do cardio and any other leg strenthening I feel may be lacking, like some exercises I remember from a physio appointment I had months ago. I feel like I have good strength now but any improvement I can make now will be helpful.

No comments: