Friday, January 15, 2010

Back on the run after a month long hiatus!

Yay, I'm back at it! I went for a run on the treadmill yesterday after not running for one whole month.

I ran for half an hour and my foot felt fine. Yes! I don't know what the problem was, but my suspicion is that I was walking around in these new high heel boots that were causing some damage to my foot. Does wearing heels affect running? Probably. I'm 6'0'' tall so I'm not the most frequent heel wearer, but ever since I got myself a tall boyfriend about 1 year 8 months ago, I've been dabbling in heels a bit more. I don't think they agree with me. That's fine, I guess. I'll wear my tall, expensive boots on special occassions and save my flats for regular wear.

Anyway, I did an easy 5.5 speed (whatever that means) run on the hill setting. In half an hour I think I only did about 2.75 miles but that's fine for a first run back. I didn't want to push it. Then I biked for twenty more minutes while watching horrible celebrity gossip on the gym television. I was going to add in some ab work but the tiny mat section was full so I gave up and went home instead.

It's amazing how going back to something I felt really good about has an immediate impact on my body image and my feelings generally. I was looking in the mirror, fearing that with each day missed of running, I was slowly heading back in the wrong direction. I ate whatever I wanted over the holidays so I'm sure my weigh-in on the 20th of the month won't be great, but at least I'm working out.

So my plan for the winter is basically to stick to indoor treadmill running, at least until it's a little less cold. 3o minutes max on a treadmill is fine with me. I'll add in a few Body Pumps each week, and hopefully some yoga and swimming too. Let's say I will run four times a week, and exercise six times a week.

No comments: