Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hump Day!

Post Op Day 8

I didn't leave the house today.

Never the less, I was productive, and actually spent a good part of the day working. I also did my physio exercises three times very thoroughly and threw in a few exercises here and there whenever my brace was off for icing. I'm starting to see some improvement.

For example, sitting on my kitchen countertop with the breakfast bar stool out in front of me, I am now able to very slowly extend my toes and raise them up to rest on the footrest of the chair without using my other leg as a lift.

It's unclear whether the angle of my bend is improving but I can say with some certainty that it's feeling less difficult to bring the leg to a bend whenever I attempt it.

The above picture shows the two legs flexed. Notice the difference. Also notice the bruise on my left foot from when my crutch fell on me. Beware of damn crutches.

My bruise is fading. Aww, goodbye mammoth bruise. May you be the bruisiest bruise I ever experience forever-more.

Besides spending the day working and exercising, I also managed another shower (showering feels soooo good), to make myself breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and to wash dishes. I can walk around my place in my brace without crutches and without clutching the furniture or walls as I go. Once or twice I've felt an uncomfortable shift in my leg within the brace so I have to be careful.

In the evening I had a lovely visit from Jordy, Pipa, and Adam. We watched "So you Think You Can Dance Canada" which is quite wonderful, and played with the colour effects on my camera. Ooh la la.

Look! The artist reunited with his work!


All in all not such a bad day. No longer am I emotionally unstable.. at least not today. I feel good about my motivation to exercise and am keeping a positive attitude towards getting back on my feet!

2 comments:

Wei said...

Sounds like you're recovering very well! It took me about 3 weeks to finally wean myself fully off of crutches (by week two I was already down to just one crutch). I was doing exercises like you and I was able to hobble around my house without crutches after the first week.

Keep it up!

Jessica said...

Thanks Wei! It's good to know I'm about the same as you were. I've been feeling concerned that my physio regime is not intense enough. I'm only meeting my therapist once a week and I've heard most people start off going three times a week!!! Hopefully I can stay on track.