Sunday, September 21, 2008

No sleep for the healing

Post-Op Day 11

It's 7:18am on Sunday morning and I've been awake for an hour now. And here I thought my 9AM alarm for an early morning breakfast plan was rough enough.

But I can't sleep very well these mornings lately. I wake up early feeling discomfort in the leg and can't get back to sleep. So I've relocated to the couch this morning with my intricate elevation device in place and two Tylenols down the hatch, and hopefully after I finish this blog I'll be able to catch an hour or so more of sleep.

Yesterday was day 11 and I tried to rest my leg more than I had the day before. I stayed in pretty much, except for a few hours spent up on the 8th floor of my building hanging out with some of Steve's friends and their friends who happened to live here too. How convenient!


Steve also went out to Kensington to pick up the ingredients we needed to do a cooking extravaganza. We made lasagna and peach crumble! They came out so very well! I sat across the three bar stools and shredded cheese while he stood in the kitchen chopping veggies and boiling noodles. It was a pretty good deal.


Mmm.. I'm hungry now just thinking about it.


My leg felt pretty decent yesterday actually. I think I felt like I increased my angle of bend a bit more so that's positive. I've been still hobbling around with the brace and without crutches, and in fact I've been breaking the rules and going around my apartment with my brace off, holding onto furniture for dear life, or to make-shift walkers like a bar stool or Steve, or using crutches. I probably shouldn't risk it but the brace is so big and strappy and hot and restrictive. I haven't been sleeping with it either, but my surgeon says you don't have to.


I'm looking forward to returning to see my physiotherapist tomorrow. I plan to ask him whether seeing him once a week is enough to make the optimal recovery. It's a tricky thing to balance funds with quality, but at this point it's really in my best interest to have a full recovery instead of a few extra hundred or thousand dollars in my bank. Right?

We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Wei said...

I agree with getting better vs. having money in the bank. Your body is something that will last you your lifetime. Money is something that comes and goes, but somehow, we'll always make do.

I'm in the same boat, and with school expenses, I feel like a lot of what I'm doing is futile. But I think about how I'll be okay again in a few months more and that makes me work harder at physical therapy and worry a bit less about money.