Monday, September 29, 2008

Walking around like crazy

Post Op: 2 weeks and 5 days

This weekend I became a normal person again. I went to visit Steve in Hamilton on Friday and brought one crutch and my brace with me, but ended up really just using the crutch. We walked what is normally a half an hour walk and though I did it, my leg was really swollen and tired by the time we got home. I sat in a bar for a while feeling fine but did still feel better with my leg propped up on a chair throughout most of the evening.

This is my leg swollen after too much walking.


Saturday I walked around St. Lawrence market - again with just the one crutch.

And today I went to the apple orchard and traversed difficult terrain on my new-ligamented knee. I also went to my parents house without any crutches and managed just fine, trying now to walk without a limp which keeps me moving slowly but steadily.

Here's my leg in the apple orchard. I'm a little obsessed with photographing my legs these day...


I'm feeling pretty great, I must admit. This busy schedule has, however, distracted me from my exercising and tomorrow and for the rest of the week I'll be back at the gym. In some ways I feel like just walking on my leg is progress and exercise. The more I use the muscles to do normal, everyday things, the better they will fare, right?

One question I asked my physiotherapist is, "how much is too much?" His response to that is that the surgeon made sure during surgery that my full range of motion was there. The only reason I don't have it now is because of swelling and stiffness. So... in other words, I should work it out as much as I like as long as I don't feel too much pain or strain. I also, obviously, need to make sure not to do things that are not suitable for an unstable knee.

And one more leg shot from today for good luck.


As far as pain and discomfort go, it's still at this point heavy and noticeable pretty much at all times, but I wouldn't really call it painful unless I've really been walking for a long time, and even that is improving. Sitting in a chair with my leg bent for a long period of time is also not very comfortable.

It's hard to believe three weeks have almost alread passed. Stayed tuned for tomorrow's entry where I'll wow you with... body weight and knee surgery!!!

No comments: